top of page

How Can Mould Affect Your Health

Updated: May 31, 2023


How Mould Can Affect Your Health
How Mould Can Affect Your Health

Hey there! Have you ever noticed a damp and musty smell in your home? Or perhaps you've spotted some green or black spots starting to appear on your walls? If so, it's possible that you could be dealing with a common problem: mould. While it may not seem like a big deal at first, the truth is that mould can have serious implications on your health if left unaddressed. So how can mould affect your health? As we all know, mould is a type of fungus that thrives in damp and humid environments. It can grow just about anywhere, from your shower to your basement, and can quickly spread if not dealt with properly. But what many people don't realize is that mould can pose a significant threat to human health in a number of ways. For starters, prolonged exposure to mould can lead to a range of respiratory problems. This is because mould spores can be inhaled and irritate the lining of your lungs, triggering symptoms like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. In more severe cases, it can even lead to the development of asthma or other chronic lung conditions. Children and those with pre-existing respiratory conditions are especially vulnerable. But it's not just your lungs that can be affected by mould. Some types of mould can also produce toxic substances known as mycotoxins, which can be extremely harmful if ingested or inhaled. Symptoms of mycotoxin exposure can include headaches, dizziness, weakness, and even memory loss. In extreme cases, mycotoxin exposure has been linked to neurological damage and even cancer. So, what can you do if you suspect that you have a mould problem in your home? The first step is to identify the source of the issue and take steps to remedy it. This might mean addressing leaks or moisture issues, improving ventilation, or investing in a dehumidifier. You'll also want to clean up any visible mould. If it's smaller than the palm of your hand use a mixture of vinegar and water, making sure to wear protective equipment like gloves and a mask and clean at least 30cm beyond the visible mould. If you're unsure about the severity of your mould problem or are experiencing any symptoms of exposure, it's important to consult with a medical professional. They can help determine the best course of action and provide guidance on how to protect yourself and your family. In conclusion, while mould may seem like a minor issue, it's important to take it seriously when it comes to the potential health implications. By being proactive and taking steps to address any mould problems in your home, you can protect yourself and your loved ones from the negative effects of exposure. References: 1. World Health Organization. (2009). Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould. WHO Regional Office for Europe. 2. Thrasher, J. D., & Crawley, S. (2009). The biocontaminants and complexity of damp indoor spaces: more than what meets the eyes. Toxicology and industrial health, 25(9-10), 583-615. 3. Etzel, R. A. (2003). Mycotoxins. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289(23), 3117-3119.

126 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comentarios


bottom of page